Sunday, May 5, 2013

Waiting for the Right One

The other day, I was watching a movie with some friends, and noticed one of my guy friends did not want to watch a movie that was raunchy, and the movie we did end up watching- he purposely distracted himself with his phone or food just so he wouldn't watch sexual scenes.

While some friends found that funny of him, I honestly admire what he did and only hope for the same in my future boyfriend/ spouse.  It shows to me that there are guys out there in the world who refuse to pollute their mind with sexual temptation out of respect for their girlfriends, but also themselves.

Today at church, part of the message was about relationships.  According to the pastor, one thing us single folks tend to do is create an idol out of this image of who we want our future spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend to be.  We dream of them to be a certain way, have certain looks, have a certain income, or a certain background.

I know I do this at time, I have a certain image of who I want my future spouse to look like and their ideal job to be.  Heck, I even conspire how I hope me and future husband will meet at times.

However, the truth is that only God knows and has it thoughtfully planned out how, when, and where we may meet the love of our lives.

In my opinion, the reason why relationships and marriages fail is because there is a lack of patience.

A lack of patience for the Mr. Right, so you settle for Mr. "Almost" Right or Mr. "Could Become Mr." Right.  And, the same goes for men!

Because we lack patience in our love lives, we settle for someone who we hope might be the right person.  But, if there is anything the Bible has to say about the topic of love it is: "Love is Patient."
Or, Love is Long-suffering in some versions (1 Corinthians 13)

Regardless of what version we read, we can interpret that God clearly tells us- love will require some time and hard work waiting for!

According to my one friend, it's possible that God may still be at work in our future spouse, heck- God may still be at work in us!

This might sound kind of cheesy, but I pray for my future husband.  I pray that God will strengthen him, lead him is his spiritual walk, and may he just fall deeper in love with God everyday.

And, I can only hope that my future husband does the same for me, it wouldn't surprise me if he does.

When it comes down to it, you can't go wrong leaving the issue of your future relationship in God's hands.  Because, God kinda is the ultimate match maker!

I sometimes wish that His matchmaking will be as easy as Isaac's and Rebekah's in Genesis.  Abraham sent his servant to Nahor to find a wife for Isaac, for God told Abraham that Isaac's future wife was waiting!  Thus, the servant went out to Nahor to find this woman and said a little prayer, asking for a specific sign.

Genesis 24

12 Then he prayed, “Lord, God of my master Abraham, make me successful today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13 See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. 14 May it be that when I say to a young woman, ‘Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,’ and she says, ‘Drink, and I’ll water your camels too’—let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.”

15 Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor. 16 The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.
17 The servant hurried to meet her and said, “Please give me a little water from your jar.”

18 “Drink, my lord,” she said, and quickly lowered the jar to her hands and gave him a drink.
19 After she had given him a drink, she said, “I’ll draw water for your camels too, until they have had enough to drink.” 20 So she quickly emptied her jar into the trough, ran back to the well to draw more water, and drew enough for all his camels. 21 Without saying a word, the man watched her closely to learn whether or not the Lord had made his journey successful.

22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold nose ring weighing a beka[c] and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels.[d] 23 Then he asked, “Whose daughter are you? Please tell me, is there room in your father’s house for us to spend the night?”

24 She answered him, “I am the daughter of Bethuel, the son that Milkah bore to Nahor.” 25 And she added, “We have plenty of straw and fodder, as well as room for you to spend the night.”

26 Then the man bowed down and worshiped the Lord, 27 saying, “Praise be to the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the Lord has led me on the journey to the house of my master’s relatives.”
I can only imagine what went through the servant's head- here God just straight up answered His prayer.  The servant did not settle finding a woman similar to what he was on a mission to look for, but he was specific and did not want to return to Abraham with a woman that was a Ms. "Can maybe, possibly be Ms." Right.

I believe we should do the same, maybe not be too specific- but at least be aware of the standards we have that we will not settle on.

From my experience, I have learned not to settle on the amount of faith a man has.  I hope and pray that my future man will have a faith equal, if not greater, than mine.

Sure, having high standards may be a pain in the butt, may require time, and may require being single for a while.  However, I believe that without a doubt that waiting will help prevent a lot of heartbreak, pain, and mistakes.

If it is Lord Willing, we will find "the One."

In the mean time, like the preacher continued to say- while waiting for God to do His match making magic, we are to Worship and love God- not this idea of love we may  have.

The right person will come along eventually friend, I promise- just continue to pray and "long-suffer."

Have a blessed day,
 <3 KM



1 comment:

Titi Funtó said...

Hi Kendra! very lovely and wise post you wrote here. I love the story of Isaac and Rebekah.

Trust me, praying for your future husband is definitely NOT silly. I wish I would remember to do it more often. And I completely agree with you. If there's one thing I defintely cannot bend or compromise on, it's that I want a guy who is even more on fire for God than I am, someone who will challenge me spiritually. A guy who'll love God more than He loves me, yet while loving me like God would have him do so. The whole "waiting" process in my opinion is all about trusting God and trusting Him to work in my life and in my future husband's life as we individually seek His face. God brings two ppl together when He knows their ready for each other. But His number one priority is that we grow in Him, so that guy might not show up yet if God thinks he might be a distraction right now. :)

Thanks so much for sharing Sis!

Tell the World

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...